Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Last weekend we stayed at Father Pombo’s place, connected to the church. It was the same place that Christian had stayed for the duration of his stay in Africa. It was a very relaxing weekend. I read a book and just relaxed. Father Pombo is a very interesting man. He wakes up at six to ring the church bells everyday and he doesn’t go to sleep until two or three in the morning everyday. He works very hard and does a lot. He is writing four books on top of preaching to three different parishes, with the help of Father Mindi. He is busy all the time, but he never seems tired. He is always smiling and joking around. He is a great example of how attitude can overcome hardship. The food he eats is very good. On Friday night we said goodbye to Christian, who left Saturday morning early. It was sad, he was almost in tears, but Father Pombo said he was just changing rooms, it was no big deal. This room change just happened to be across a sea. So, now there are only six Muzungu (Muzungu is the Swahili word for white person) left in Subawanga. James, me and four 20 year old Germans at Katandala are the only ones left. It is a very new experience to be such a big minority for me, but it doesn’t really matter much. This Friday we left at 2 o’clock to go to Kipilli. James and I thought that we were going to leave at noon, but this is Tanzania, so we left at 2. It was James, me, Brother Joseph and two form 4 student girls. Kipilli is right on Lake Tanganyika. The monastery’s house is located on a bay facing the Lake. It was absolutely gorgeous. We got there late on Friday and just ate dinner and went to bed. Then on Saturday I woke up and went and read by the Lake. I got hot so I went for a swim. The water was a turquoise blue and very refreshing. It was extremely hot in Kipilli, so we swam when we got hot and dried off by the sun. We did this for most of the day, then we went to a beach at another part of Lake Tanganyika. There were people building boats, washing clothes and a lot of children were swimming. James took out his camera to take a picture and he was swarmed by around fifteen children that wanted to see the picture he took. It is a good thing his camera is waterproof, because otherwise it would have been wrecked by all those little wet hands grabbing it. It was cool. Then we back, ate dinner and watched the sunset. The sunset was beautiful, I took a lot of pictures that I will try to get up on facebook. We slept as well as we could, James said he woke up and thought he was dying, because it was so hot. Then on Sunday we woke up and did the same thing as Saturday morning, except we did not swim at all. James and I got some wicked sunburn and since we are both geniuses and neither of us brought along sunscreen or aloe, we stayed that way. Yes mom, I know you made me bring some and I know it doesn’t do me any good to leave it in subawanga and yes next time I go I will bring it with me. Then we walked with Brother Joseph to the convent near us. It was beautiful. The sister that was staying there was very very nice. She was welcoming and gave us some food. It was blazing out, but I was hungry so I ate a lot. Then we walked back to where we were staying and tried to cool off. Then we had to eat again, but I was stuffed to I politely ate as little as I could. Then we hung out for a little while and waited for the boat, then we went for a boat ride. It was beautiful. We went by a hotel that you have to pay a $1000 a night to stay at and then we went by some small villages and a lot of mountains that were very pretty. It was nice. Then we came back and drank some pombei by the Lake and watched the sunset, which turned out to be even better then yesterday’s sunset. We went to bed and the next morning we left. It was still hot, but now that we are back in Subawanga at 5000 ft. elevation it is not so hot, not uncomfortable anyways. James bought some aloe and we have been using it ever since to heal our burning skin. But the burnt skin was worth it for the beauty we saw. It was a great trip.

1 comment:

  1. im jealous of your lifeeee!!! i'm glad i found this blog though so i can keep up with your adventures!
    miss you!

    ReplyDelete