Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I woke up early from excitement. I grabbed my packed backpack and headed out to where I was supposed to meet the car. I was worried I would miss it, but those worries were unfounded. The car picked me up and then the British couple and some overland truckers. For those of you that do not know what an overland truck is, it is where a bunch of people get into a huge truck and travel around a continent and camp out, it is quite big in Europe. We arrived at the ranger station. It was just a building in the middle of some fields. We had coffee and I drank tea. I talked with some of the overland truckers and my British friends, then we were separated into groups. I was put in the lucky group, a group that has twelve gorillas, the silverback separated from the Sasa group, which is one of the main research groups of Diane Fossey. We set out in cars and eventually got to the edge of the forest. We hiked for about twenty minutes, it was easy walking. Then the guide told us to give our bags and stuff to the porters, so the gorillas would not smell the food. As he did the first gorilla showed up. It did not even care that we were sitting there and snapping pictures. Then more and more gorillas showed up. They just sat around, eating bamboo and climbing trees. The silverback was off trying to steal female gorillas away from other groups. We were worried we would not get to see him. But with ten minutes to go, he showed up. What a sight. HUGE, he walked in with an air of authority. When he got there all the gorillas came over and greeted him. It was amazing, but you can only have one hour with the gorillas, so we had to leave. We got back to town and my British friends and I went to lunch. It was good and I asked the waiter how to get to Kampala from Musanze. He said there were buses in the morning and at night. So, I said goodbye to my friends and caught a mini bus to the boarder of Uganda and Rwanda. I crossed the border and caught a motorbike taxi to Kisoro. I caught the last bus to Kampala, the only reason it was still there was it was being fixed. It was probably the worst night of my life. I did not sleep and the bus played Celine Dion videos over and over again. I got to Kampala and got another motorbike taxi to the hostel I wanted to stay at. I got there about 5 o’clock in the morning, the security guard let me in and told me to pay for the dorm he put me in when they opened in the morning. I paid and then walked around Kampala, I changed some money and then went to a book store and bought two books and had a little over 5 dollars left in my pocket, so I walked over to the ATM, but it would not work, so I went to another ATM, still nothing. I tried every way to get money, but could not. Defeated and poor I walked back the 2 miles to my hostel. I had taken out too much money in Rwanda and so, I had to wait two days in Kampala in order to be able to use my ATM card again. So, I waited and called my parents for help, I was nervous and hungry, I had run out of water and food by the middle of the second day. I used a guys phone I met at the hostel to text back and forth to my parents. Eventually I got money. I went to a guy’s shop who is from the Congo and talked to him. I talked to him in English and Swahili. His shop was a mini mall where he put out all of his stuff on a stairway. It was really cool. He was interesting, but I needed to check out of my hostel, so I left. I got a bus to Jinja and arrived about five o’clock and went to a hostel. I then talked to the guy about rafting and bungee jumping. I arranged to raft the next day and then I walked to the ATM and successfully withdrew money. I met two Norwegian guys at the hostel. We moved from a hostel in town to a hostel on the Nile River. It was beautiful. I ran into the same overland truck that I had met at the gorillas. I drank with the two Norwegians and they got really drunk. One found a rat, it must have been a foot and a half long. It was huge. The next morning I got up and went rafting. We had an awesome group, the guide was amazing and the river was the Nile, so it was a really good time. We flipped four times and got tossed around the entire day. After the rafting we got transferred back to the hostel and had a great meal. I met some Americans and hung out with them. It was a great day and lots of fun. I asked the lady in the office about bungee jumping, but they did it at a different company, they called over there and booked me three times. They won’t open it up for only one person, so I thought I was going to go, but they figured out the mistake and I did not think I would be able to go. I decided to wait around and see if I could find someone to go the next day. So, I slept and then had breakfast. I met three Australian girls and asked them what they were doing, they said bungee jumping and so I went bungee jumping. I got a ride from some people I went rafting with the day before and I waited at the place for a while and slept. Then I bungee jumped, holy crap was that scary. It was awesome though. I got a ride back to town and walked around by Lake Victoria and took pictures and stuff. It was nice. Then the next day I took a bus to Nairobi, while waiting for the bus I met a Canadian girl and found out that Canada is still part of the Commonwealth. I arrived late at night and got a taxi to the Milimani backpackers hostel. I got there late and got something to eat and started drinking with a couple of South Africans. They were cool and they were here to climb mount Kenya. The next day, I met the Canadian girl again at the hostel and then I met a Scottish guy and we went to the market, holy moley, everyone begged me to go to their shop, but I had no money. It was intense. I left eventually and then took a taxi to my new hotel and watched rugby until about seven o’clock. Then I went to the airport and waited for a plane to arrive. I saw the Kenya National Sevens Rugby team, as they got back from beating South Africa in a tournament. It was cool. Finally my father’s head popped into view and I exploded with excitement. I was very happy to see him and he was exhausted from the journey. We got a taxi back to the hotel and stayed there for two days, because he was not feeling well. Then we went back to Milimani backpackers hostel. We arranged a safari and then went to town for supplies. In town I got a phone call, James was calling. He could not find his friend and so he called me and asked me where I am I said I don’t know, but somewhere in Nairobi and then I told him the street. We were going to try and meet up, but had no idea how. So, we walked some more and saw a guy getting attacked. I think he was a thief, someone was holding him and people were running up and slapping him, it was intense. We got our supplies and then walked back to where we were going to meet James. We ran into him and walked back to the hostel with him. We were going to leave the next day for the safari, but dad did not feel well and I thought I lost my passport. We went to the hospital and I found my passport safely in a pair of pants. It was a neat day I walked around with James and a guy we met named Nick, Nairobi was nice and we hung out with an American guy named Adam who had been traveling around and volunteering in different places. It was a good night. The next day we left for the Massai Mara, not expecting to see any of them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment